Enjoy one of the most spectacular routes in Spain, "El Camino de Hierro". This route passes through 20 tunnels and 13 bridges, following the old railway line along the right bank of the Agueda River for 17 km until it reaches Barca de Alba at its mouth on the Duero River.
The Camino de Hierro route is a pedestrian route that runs along a section of railway line closed to traffic and upgraded. Ask us about the organisation of your transfers and accommodation in the area of influence.
13 Jan 2023
A different, daring proposal, an experience of contrasts of light, perspectives and sensations.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO DO "El Camino de Hierro"?
The Mediterranean climate in the Arribes del Duero gives this area mild winters and very warm summers, so except in summer or extreme winter conditions, any time is a good time. Spring and autumn may be the most recommendable times, especially spring, when we can enjoy the flowering of the fruit trees, vines and almond trees, especially in La Fregeneda.
As we have said, and despite the fact that there are set times for starting the route from 07.30h to 08.30h, it is not advisable to do the Camino de Hierro in summer as temperatures can exceed 40 degrees at midday when we would be arriving at the last kilometres.
Recommendations for coming to do it - indications of the route "El Camino de Hierro".
Complete Route (17 Km).
Only people over 8 years of age and people who do not suffer from heart disease, respiratory insufficiency or other similar illnesses that could pose a serious risk to their life or integrity may enter. Due to the characteristics of the route along the Camino de Hierro between tracks, tunnels and paths at high altitude and steep terrain.
Reduced Route (8 Km).
Children under 8 years of age are allowed.
Please note that:
- Minors under 16 years of age must always be accompanied by an adult and prove their age with their ID card, passport, family book or equivalent document for possible verifications that may be carried out during the tour by the Camino de Hierro staff.
- Entry to the Camino de Hierro will not be allowed in the absence of an ID card or other reliable and official supporting document such as N.I.E., passport, driving licence. In the case of minors, DNI or Family Book in order to check that they are of the minimum age for access.
- Visitors will access the Camino de Hierro through the La Fregeneda station, being totally forbidden to enter and access it from any other part of the route, and must arrive at the access area at least 30 minutes beforehand.
- The itinerary has opening and closing times.
15 October to 31 March. The ticket office will only be open for ticket control from 9:00 am to 10:00 am. Entrance is forbidden after this time. 4.30 p.m. deadline for the end of the tour.
1 April to 14 October. The ticket office will only be open for ticket control from 7:30 am to 8:30 am. Entrance is forbidden after this time. 3.00 p.m. deadline for the end of the route.
- It is compulsory to use the safety equipment provided at the start.
- Tunnel number 3 may be closed at certain times to coincide with the bat breeding season. Use the alternative path.
- Pets are not allowed on the route.
- You must walk along the side paths of the track without leaving the itinerary and respecting the rules and indications of the staff.
- Bring plenty of water, appropriate footwear, sun protection and some food, there are currently no vending machines or shops at the starting point.
- Be aware of the high temperatures in the hot months.
- Wet sleepers can slip.
- Use caution throughout the route, especially on bridges and in tunnels.
- To observe it is better to stop.
- You are in a Natural Park, so respect the environment and avoid making annoying noises.
- There are places to leave your rubbish, so don't leave rubbish on the route.
- Your safety depends on your behaviour, so be careful.
- There are several portable toilets along the route, but not too many.
It is forbidden:
- Light a fire at any point along the route.
- Taking photographs and making disturbing noises inside tunnel number 3.
- Going off-route.