The third edition of the Ice Cream Championship of Spain will take place at Intersicop 2019, with contenders from Galicia, Asturias, Cataluña, the Valencian Community, Castilla-La Mancha, Andalusia and the Balearic Islands
Last Wednesday, November 14, the National Association of Artisan Ice Cream Makers (ANHCEA) held a press conference in Alicante to present all the details on the third edition of the Ice Cream Championship in Spain. After several years' absence, the competition returns to the stage from February 23-25 at Intersicop, the International Bakery, Pastry, Ice Cream and Coffee Show organised by IFEMA at the Feria de Madrid.
Marco Miquel, the president of ANHCEA, along with Mario Masiá, the vice president, and José María Gil, the secretary, showed how this year's edition differed from other years and announced the name of the 12 contestants that have passed the selection process and will compete to win this contest, whose aim is to show the originality, training, ice cream culture, creativity and good practices of professionals of artisan ice creams as well as promoting the value of the craft itself.
Contestants must each choose a theme for their work and carry out the following tests: Two equal buckets with their choice of flavours, 360 x 250 x 80 mm high; two equal ice cream cakes made with at least two types of ice cream or sorbets and measuring at most 30 cm at the base and 30 cm in height, including decoration; eight sundaes with the same decoration; a brief interview with the jury on the formulation, preparation and techniques used on their ice creams, and a final buffet to present all the work done but in facsimile.
The participating ice cream makers are:
- Rubén Fernández Otero. Heladería La Fiorentina. Cangas (Pontevedra)
- Daniel Pérez Fernández. El Asturiano. Almuña (Asturias)
- Albert Soler. Can Soler. Montgat (Barcelona)
- Juan Carlos García Carrera. La Fábrica de Farry. Mercadal (Menorca)
- Álvaro Verdú Palú. Gelart. Denia (Alicante)
- Óscar Palacio Tomás. Helados Artesanos Palacio. Pedreguer (Alicante)
- Guillermo Severa Pérez. Restaurante Pocardy. Alicante
- Marcos Elías García Ramos. Raquel. Elche (Alicante)
- Adolfo Romero Rodríguez. Helados Romero. Puertollano (Ciudad Real)
- Martín Belmonte Méndez. Di Martino. Carboneras (Almería)
- José Muñoz Frontana. Heladería-café Daniel. Almuñecar (Granada)
- Miguel Ángel Morillo Rodríguez. Helados Miquel. Mairena del Alcor (Sevilla)